Wednesday 13 February 2013

Vegan meal a week challenge: 'Cheesy' Broccoli Baked Potatoes

Back again! It's been a little crazy lately (one diploma down - I've just this afternoon found out I've got a grade A in my nutrition diploma - hooray!) working away at my kinesiology homework and my homeopathy postgrad course... The end is getting clearer into sight now.... and I've discovered two more areas I really want to look at which I feel will enhance my life and my practice. It seems my studying journey is not about to end for a while yet!

My raw food journey continues along it's own route. I'm loving it and see no end in sight there either. Not saying never to cooked foods but the energy increase, vitality raise and all round feelings of wellness are amazing.  My gorgeous new blender has made smoothies, salad dressings and so on an absolute joy. Looking for excuses to use it really! So here's a recipe that I'd need it for...

From the fabulous Forks over Knives - The Cookbook:

'Cheesy' Broccoli Baked Potatoes

Serves 4 although adapt as need to suit

4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
1 batch no cheese sauce (see below)
2 cups broccoli florets

Preheat oven to 180C
Pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times
Place potato on a baking sheet and bake between an hour and an hour 15mins/until tender
Combine No cheese sauce and broccoli in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, or until broccoli is tender
Slice the potato with a cross shape on top and spoon the warm broccoli cheese into the potato.

'No cheese sauce'

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons cashews, toasted (optional)
1 tablespoon tahini (optional)
1 cup nutritional yeast
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order given and puree until smooth and creamy, adding up to 1/2 cup of water if neccessary to achieve a smooth consistency.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment